Saturday, August 31, 2013

Bookstore Tour: The Strand

The Strand - Manhattan, New York City (Greenwich Village)
Basics: Gigantic bookstore of “18 Miles of Books” fame
Size: 3 large floors plus basement (“the Strand Underground”)
The Goods: New and Used
First Impression:
(Actually my second impression since I was here about a month ago but still) HUGE. Lots of books. Lots of people. Lots of everything. It was overwhelming and confusing when I first walked in, but it was BOOKS so I didn’t mind the madness.
Finds and Features:
I unexpectedly stumbled acrossthe as-of-yet-to-be-released Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell in the Young Adult section. I was so excited to get my hands on a copy a few weeks ahead of time! Plus, it was only $9.50 for the hardcover. Most other new YA hardcovers were $15 or $16.
The selection at the Strand is unbelievable. I mostly found myself browsing the display tables that were set up (staff picks, Strand 80, real books cheaper than kindle books). This was an easy way to see highlights from the Strand’s collection, although there was plenty more in the stacks.
The basement or “Strand Underground” has a section of new books at half price. When I first saw the ancient sign advertising this deal I thought it was just a throwback to an old Strand discount. But it’s true! There is a whole section of hardcover books at half the list price!
Pricing:  Below list price. I’d guess that about half of the Strand’s new books are a few dollars below list price. The other half are well below list price (for example, I paid $7.95 for Nicole Krauss’s Great House when the list price is $14.95). Used books in the sale outside range from $1-5.
Tip: Look through all the copies of the book you’re interested in. You might find one cheaper than the rest! I looked through a few copies of Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan that were $14 until I found one that was $8.
What I Bought:
  • Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan
  • Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
  • Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
  • Great House by Nicole Krauss
  • Over You by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
  • Point Omega by Don DeLillo
How I Felt When I Left: Tired but happy
Website: Strand Books
Photos:

image
Books for sale outside…cheap!
image
The view upon entering The Strand.
image
Standard swag - t-shirts, tote bags, mugs. They had an area with paper goods for sale too - notebooks, cards, etc. Lots of stuff!
image
I thought this sign was a cruel joke…it’s not!
image
See! These new books were 1/2 off!
image
There were quite a few “themed” displays.
image
Real books priced lower than e-books! Cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment