Saturday, August 24, 2013

Bookstore Tour: Kinokuniya

Kinokuniya - Manhattan, New York City (Midtown West)
Basics: Bilingual (Japanese and English) bookstore
Size: 2 medium-sized floors plus basement
The Goods: New
First Impression: At first I thought that this was completely a Japanese-language bookstore based on the signage and window displays. I cannot, unfortunately, read Japanese but I decided to pop in anyways. I’m so glad I did! Kinokuniya is a welcoming, well-lit, and easily navigable space.
Finds and Features: As soon as I walked in I spotted Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn in paperback. I’ve been waiting for this to come out in paperback forever, scouring the Internet for a release date. Well, it’s still not out. But Kinokuniya had the UK import!
The second floor of Kinokuniya is pretty much completely manga, in both Japanese and English, plus DVDs. There were a few well-stocked rows of graphic novels as well.
Although my first impression was a little off, there were still a lot of Japanese elements and materials in the store: Japanese-language newspapers and books, toys and games, and of course, manga.  
Pricing: List price, aside from a few carts of clearance books.
What I Bought:
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  • What a Wonderful World, Volume 1  by Inio Asano
How I Felt When I Left: Surprised and happy
Website: Books Kinokuniya
Apologies for the poor quality pictures!

Open spaces and plenty of books.
Standard bookstore goods from Out of Print.
Children’s section.
Cute Japanese toys and games.
Manga everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment